THE SCHOOL ON THE BLUFF
A History of the University of Albuquerque
By John Taylor
Order from Your INDEPENDENT BOOKSELLER
Booksellers Order from INGRAM CONTENT GROUP
Also PURCHASE BOOK & eBOOK ON AMAZON
The University of Albuquerque began in 1921 as a small Catholic teachers’ college occupying part of an orphanage. It grew in both size and scope, first moving to a former Catholic boys’ school, and then to its final location on Albuquerque’s then-barren West Mesa. Over the years it rode an ideological and financial roller coaster until its demise in 1986. This book traces the history of the school, from its foundational background in territorial New Mexico, through its halcyon years in the 1950s and 1960s, to its struggles with finances and its change of direction from its original purpose as a teachers’ college for Franciscan nuns into an institution with a significant curriculum devoted to associate-degree occupational training. The school had twenty-one presidents—both religious and lay, with nine in its final nineteen years alone. The book examines each of these administrations, the challenges they faced, and the disparate solutions that were applied.
John Taylor earned a Master’s Degree in Nuclear Engineering from Stanford University and served in the U.S. Navy aboard the USS Nautilus (SSN-571). He joined Sandia National Laboratories in 1975, where he worked for thirty-five years, focusing on analysis of transportation of radioactive material, evaluation of nuclear weapon safety, nonproliferation and national security, and arms control and treaty analysis. While at Sandia, he authored or co-authored forty-seven technical reports and papers. John is also an historian with particular interests in the Civil War in New Mexico, the history of the Rio Abajo, the development of Catholicism in central New Mexico, railroading in New Mexico, and the “naval history” of New Mexico. He has authored or co-authored nineteen books on these and other subjects.
6 x 9, Illustrated